Fellow in Vitreoretinal Disease and Surgery
Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
Residency in Ophthalmology
University of California, San Francisco, CA.
Intern in Medicine
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA.
Doctor of Medicine
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
Bachelors in Biochemistry,
Bowdoin College, Brunswick, ME.
2016 – present American Society for Retina Specialists
2014 – 2016 Pacific Retina Club
2013 – present American Academy of Ophthalmology
2013 – present Frederick C. Cordes UCSF Alumni Society
2008 – 2012 New England Society for Microscopy
2006 – present Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
2016 – 2017 Heed Ophthalmic Foundation Fellow – Society of Heed Fellows
2015 Hogan/Garcia Award for best research paper by a UCSF Ophthalmology resident
2015 – 2016 Vice President of the Cordes UCSF Alumni Society
2014 Awarded $10,000 grant from the Patient Care Fund at SF General Hospital
2008 – 2012 Dr. Clinton Noyes Peters and Alice F. Peters Scholarship
2007 ARVO travel grant recipient
2005 Departmental Honors in Biochemistry, Magna cum laude
2005 Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha of Maine
2001 – 2005 Sarah and James Bowdoin Scholar
2003, 2004 Bowdoin Book Award (4.0 grade point average)
2003 Kamerling Laboratory Award (for excellence in organic chemistry)
2002 Coles research fellow
2016-present – Retina Fellow, Wills Eye Hospital: Evaluating one year outcomes for patients with DME switching from Avastin or Lucentis to Eylea (Mentor: Jason Hsu, M.D.)
Success rates for PVR RDs treated with PPV, retinectomy, and SO without scleral buckle (Mentor: Carl Regillo, M.D.)
Started randomized control trial evaluating comfort with 30 vs 33 gauge needles for intravitreal Injections (Mentor: Allen Chiang, M.D.)
Evaluating the role of inflammasomes in retinal detachment from subretinal fluid samples in collaboration with Mark Seamone at Dalhousie University (Mentor: Allen Ho, M.D.)
2014-2016 – Ophthalmology Resident, UCSF: Started randomized controlled trial evaluating virtual reality software for the treatment of amblyopia in adults (Mentor: Marc Levin, M.D., Ph.D.)
2005-2012 – Research Assistant, Children’s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School: Studied a mouse model of retinopathy of prematurity (Mentor: Lois Smith, M.D., Ph.D.)
2005 – Research Assistant, Bowdoin College: Developed and conducted a synthetic scheme for beta-sheet mimetics using small organic molecules (Mentor: Brian Linton, Ph.D.)
2004 – Developed a computerized model to quantify vaso-obliteration and neovascularization in retinas from mice with oxygen-induced retinopathy (Mentor: Martin Friedlander, M.D., Ph.D.)
- C.M. Aderman, M. Deiner, M. Gupta, J. Blaha, M.H. Levin. Dichoptic virtual reality therapy for amblyopia in adults. ARVO Meeting Abstracts. June 2015 Vol 56: 2191.
- C.M. Aderman. Cryptococcal choroiditis in advanced AIDS. Presentation at Pacific Retina Club Annual Meeting. Los Angeles, CA, March 2015.
- C. M. Aderman, Y. Sun, Z. Shao, J.S. Joyal, L. E. H. Smith. Novel technique for sectioning a mouse retinal flat mount. ARVO Meeting Abstracts. April 30, 2014 55:407.
- D. Xu, C. M. Aderman, J. Chen, A. M. Juan, C. J. Hatton, C. G. Hurst, D. T. Pei, J. S. Joyal, J. P. SanGiovanni, L. E. H. Smith. Gene Expression Analysis Of Retinas From omega-3-PUFA and omega-6-PUFA Fed Mice In Oxygen-induced Retinopathy (OIR) Model. ARVO Meeting Abstracts. March 26, 2012 53:2543.
- J. P. SanGiovanni, C. M. Aderman, C. Rojas, T. E. Clemons, E. Chew, R. Uauy, D. R. Hoffman, and L. E. Smith. Integrated Systems Approach to Study the Role of Omega-3 Long-Chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids in Health and Disease of the Retina ARVO Meeting Abstracts April 11, 2010 51:2774.
- K. M. Connor, C. M. Aderman, K. L. Willett, J. Chen, O. Aspergren, N. SALEM, Jr., J.-P. SanGiovanni, E. Y. Chew, and L. E. H. Smith. Dietary omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Reverse Late Stage Pathologic Retinal Neovascularization. ARVO Meeting Abstracts April 11, 2008 49:3441.
- K. L. Willett, C. M. Aderman, K. M. Connor, J. Chen, O. P. Aspegren, J. P. SanGiovanni, E. Y. Chew, N. N. Salem, S. Majchrzak, and L. E. H. Smith. Dietary Intake of Omega-3 Long-Chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Modulates Arachidonic Acid Cascade Enzymes and Protects Against Pathogenic Retinal Neovascularization. ARVO Meeting Abstracts April 11, 2008 49:3442.
- C. M. Aderman, K. M. Connor, J. Chen, K. L. Willett, O. P. Aspegren, J. P. SanGiovanni, E. Y. Chew, N. Salem, Jr., and L. E. H. Smith. Gene Profiles of Omega-3 and Omega-6 PUFA Fed Mice With Retinopathy. ARVO Meeting Abstracts April 11, 2008 49:3447.
- J. Chen, C. M. Aderman, K. M. Connor, O. P. Aspegren, K. L. Willett, and L. E. H. Smith. Intervention of Erythropoietin in Proliferative Retinopathy in Mice. ARVO Meeting Abstracts April 11, 2008 49:5439.
- J. Chen, C. M. Aderman, K. M. Connor, N. Liu, A. Higuchi, and L. E. H. Smith. Erythropoietin Protects Retina From Pathological Vessel Loss and Subsequent Proliferation. ARVO Meeting Abstracts May 10, 2007 48:1963.
- K. M. Connor, C. M. Aderman, J. Chen, A. Higuchi, J.-P. SanGiovanni, E. Y. Chew, D. Carper, N. N. Salem, and L. E. H. Smith. Dietary omega-3 Long-Chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Protect Against Pathological Retinal Neovascularization Through Modulation of Microglial Derived TNF-alpha. ARVO Meeting Abstracts May 10, 2007 48:1965.
- C. M. Aderman, K. M. Connor, J. Chen, A. Higuchi, J. P. SanGiovanni, E. Y. Chew, C. N. Serhan, N. N. Salem, Jr., and L. E. H. Smith. Bioactive omega-3 LCPUFA Derivatives, Resolvins and Neuroprotectins, Inhibit Neovascularization in Oxygen Induced Retinopathy. ARVO Meeting Abstracts May 10, 2007 48:3414.
- C.M. Aderman, K.M. Connor, Z. Kachra, J. Chen, J.X. Kang, and L.E. H. Smith. Increased omega-3 / omega-6 Fatty Acid Ratio in Fat-1 Expressing Mice Protects Against Neovascularization in Oxygen Induced Retinopathy. ARVO Meeting Abstracts May 1, 2006 47:1429.
- K.M. Connor, C.M. Aderman, J. Chen, Z. Kachra, N. Salem, J.-P. SanGiovanni, E. Chew, D.A. Carper, J.-Y. Tsai, and L.E. Smith. Dietary and Pharmalogic Intervention in Proliferative Retinopathy. ARVO Meeting Abstracts May 1, 2006 47:2334.
- B.R. Linton, C.M. Aderman, C.A. Evans, S.J. Miller. Peptide-catalyzed asymmetric control of nitroalkane conjugate addition. American Chemical Society National Meeting, San Diego, CA, March 2005.
- Aderman CM, Gorovoy IR, Chow DL, Bloomer MB, Stewart JM. Cryptococcal choroiditis in advanced AIDS: clinicopathologic correlation. Manuscript in preparation.
- Aderman CM, Chao DL, Chiu CS, Bhisitkul RB. Bilateral recurrent Enterococcus faecalis endophthalmitis. Manuscript in preparation.
- Aderman CM, Rivera-Sanchez L, De Alba Campomanes A. Recurrence after Lucentis for retinopathy of prematurity. Manuscript in preparation.
- Aderman CM, Schwartz DM. Acute Bilateral Vision Loss. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2015 Dec 30:1-3.
- Grumbine FL, Aderman C, Vagefi MR, Kersten RC. Orbital MRI Pre- and Post-Vemurafenib Therapy for ErdheimChester Disease. Ophthal Plast ReconstrSurg. 2015 Apr 16.
- SanGiovanni JP, Chen J, Sapieha P, Aderman CM, Stahl A, Clemons TE, Chew EY, Smith LE. DNA sequence variants in PPARGC1A, a gene encoding a coactivator of the ω-3 LCPUFA sensing PPAR-RXR transcription complex, are associated with NV AMD and AMD-associated loci in genes of complement and VEGF signaling pathways. PLoS One. 2013;8(1):e53155.
- Chen J, Stahl A, Krah NM, Seaward MR, Joyal JS, Juan AM, Hatton CJ, Aderman CM, Dennison RJ, Willett KL, Sapieha P, Smith LE. Retinal expression of Wnt-pathway mediated genes in low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 5 (Lrp5) knockout mice. PLoS One. 2012;7(1):e30203.
- Chen J, Stahl A, Krah NM, Seaward MR, Dennison RJ, Sapieha P, Hua J, Hatton CJ, Juan AM, Aderman CM, Willett KL, Guerin KI, Mammoto A, Campbell M, Smith LE. Wnt signaling mediates pathological vascular growth in proliferative retinopathy. Circulation. 2011 Oct 25;124(17):1871-81.
- Sapieha P, Stahl A, Chen J, Seaward MR, Willett KL, Krah NM, Dennison RJ, Connor KM, Aderman CM, Liclican E, Carughi A, Perelman D, Kanaoka Y, Sangiovanni JP, Gronert K, Smith LE. 5-Lipoxygenase Metabolite 4-HDHA Is a Mediator of the Antiangiogenic Effect of omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids. Science Transl Med. 2011 Feb 9;3(69):69ra12.
- Stahl A, Sapieha P, Connor KM, Sangiovanni JP, Chen J, Aderman CM, Willett KL, Krah NM, Dennison RJ, Seaward MR, Guerin KI, Hua J, Smith LE. PPAR gamma mediates a direct antiangiogenic effect of omega 3-PUFAs in proliferative retinopathy. Circ Res. 2010 Aug 20;107(4):495-500.
- Stahl A, Connor KM, Sapieha P, Chen J, Dennison RJ, Krah NM, Seaward MR, Willett KL, Aderman CM, Guerin KI, Hua J, Löfqvist C, Hellström A, Smith LE.The mouse retina as an angiogenesis model. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010 Jun;51(6):2813-26.
- Connor KM, Krah NM, Dennison RJ, Aderman CM, Chen J, Guerin KI, Sapieha P, Stahl A, Willett KL, Smith LE. Quantification of oxygen-induced retinopathy in the mouse: a model of vessel loss, vessel regrowth and pathological angiogenesis. Nature Protoc. 2009;4(11):1565-73.
- Mammoto A, Connor KM, Mammoto T, Yung CW, Huh D, Aderman CM, Mostoslavsky G, Smith LE, Ingber DE. A mechanosensitive transcriptional mechanism that controls angiogenesis. Nature. 2009 Feb 26;457(7233):1103-8.
- Lofqvist C, Willett KL, Aspegren O, Smith AC, Aderman CM, Connor KM, Chen J, Hellstrom A, Smith LE Quantification and localization of the IGF/insulin system expression in retinal blood vessels and neurons during oxygen-induced retinopathy in mice. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009 Apr;50(4):1831-7.
- Chen J, Connor KM, Aderman CM, Willett KL, Aspegren OP, Smith LE. Suppression of retinal neovascularization by erythropoietin siRNA in a mouse model of proliferative retinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009 Mar;50(3):1329- 35.
- Chen J, Connor KM, Aderman CM, Smith LE. Erythropoietin deficiency decreases vascular stability in mice. J Clin Invest. 2008 Feb;118(2):526-33.
- Connor KM, SanGiovanni JP, Lofqvist C, Aderman CM, Chen J, Higuchi A, Hong S, Pravda EA, Majchrzak S, Carper D, Hellstrom A, Kang JX, Chew EY, Salem N Jr, Serhan CN, Smith LE. Increased dietary intake of omega-3- polyunsaturated fatty acids reduces pathological retinal angiogenesis. Nature Med. 2007 Jul;13(7):868-73.
- Lofqvist C, Chen J, Connor KM, Smith AC, Aderman CM, Liu N, Pintar JE, Ludwig T, Hellstrom A, Smith LE. IGFBP3 suppresses retinopathy through suppression of oxygen-induced vessel loss and promotion of vascular regrowth. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Jun 19;104(25):10589-94.
- Linton BR, Reutershan MH, Aderman CM, Richardson EA, Brownell KR, Ashley CW, Evans CA and Miller SJ. Asymmetric Michael addition of α-nitro-ketones using catalytic peptides. Tetrahedron Lett. 2007 48:1993-7.
- Banin E, Dorrell MI, Aguilar E, Ritter MR, Aderman CM, Smith ACH, Friedlander J, and Friedlander M. T2-TrpRS Inhibits Preretinal Neovascularization and Enhances Physiological Vascular Regrowth in OIR as Assessed by a New Method of Quantification. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2006 47: 2125-2134.